So often when we think of Fascism we think of genocide and anti-semitism. For that reason when people see real fascism and it doesn’t look like genocide and anti-semitism, they assume that it must not be fascism. But it is.
Fascism Anyone?. by Laurance W. Britt
The article above is very readable and discusses, briefly, these 14 characteristics that the fascist regimes of Hitler’s Germany, Mussolini’s Italy, Papadopolous’ Greece, Franco’s Spain, Pinochet’s Chile, and Suharto’s Indonesia shared in common, and that are found to a much lesser degree, or not all together, in non-fascist regimes.
1. Powerful and continuing expressions of nationalism.
2. Disdain for the importance of human rights.
3. Identification of enemies/scapegoats as a unifying cause.
4. The supremacy of the military/avid militarism.
5. Rampant sexism.
6. A controlled mass media.
7. Obsession with national security.
8. Religion and ruling elite tied together.
9. Power of corporations protected.
10. Power of labor suppressed or eliminated.
11. Disdain and suppression of intellectuals and the arts.
12. Obsession with crime and punishment.
13. Rampant cronyism and corruption.
14. Fraudulent elections.